Katherine E. Bavoso, a partner in CIPRIANI & WERNER, P.C.’s Harrisburg office, and Melissa S. Jackson, a partner in the firm’s Pittsburgh office, recently participated in Pennsylvania’s 21st Annual Workers’ Compensation Conference in Hershey, PA, on June 6th and 7th.
Ms. Bavoso was the panel moderator for the breakout session “Judges Unplugged: Adjudication – The New Normal [Intermediate]. The panel featured:
- David A. Cicola, Esq., WC Judge Manager, PA WC Office of Adjudication, Johnstown
- Robert J. Goduto, Esq., WC Judge Manager, PA WC Office of Adjudication, Harrisburg
- Holly San Angelo, Esq., WC Judge Manager, PA WC Office of Adjudication, Philadelphia
- Karen A. Wertheimer, Esq., WC Judge Manager, PA WC Office of Adjudication, Bristol
- Joseph DeRita, Director of Adjudication
The panel discussion centered on the four Workers’ Compensation Office of Adjudication Judge Managers instructing the attendees about the transition to the virtual/in-person adjudication and mediation processes. Best practices, modified WCJ procedures, and pitfalls were also shared and discussed.
Ms. Jackson was a panelist participant for “Nurse Case Management – Use of Disability Managers and Best Practices [Intermediate]. The panel was moderated by Ann Marie Loiseau, RN, BSN, MS, CCM, DeSales University, Center Valley and featured:
- Barbara E. Homes, Esq., Blaufeld, Schiller & Holmes, LLP, Pittsburgh
- Melissa S. Jackson, Esq., Partner, CIPRIANI & WERNER, P.C., Pittsburgh
- Betsy McDade, RN, Allegiant Managed Care, Pittsburgh
The panel discussion addressed a crucial, but unregulated, aspect of workers’ compensation claims – the role of nurse case and disability management. The panel discussed the role of nurse case and other disability managers, the ethics attendant to the process of nurse case and disability management and suggested best practices for such professionals.